Saturday, May 30, 2020

2020-05-30 A tale of 3 numbers

26.22
2.68
23.56


I have heard an example demonstrating the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that Tomato is as fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Today I gained both Knowledge and Wisdom...

As detailed in previous posts, I have long been clinically obese, and I have had the goal of completing a marathon. The first number, 26.22, represents this goal as it is the number of miles needed to complete a marathon. This is the number that has eluded me for the past 9 years. After several stops and starts, a year ago I re-set the goal of completing the Newport Marathon, which was scheduled for today. And for the past year I have faithfully been preparing.

But then Corona happened, and the race was canceled. Not to be deterred, I made preparations for my own, personal marathon. This morning I awoke and made the appropriate preparations:

Fat bombs and walnuts for breakfast: 
Shower: 
BM#1: 
Nips taped: 
Nooks and Crannies lubed: 
Electrolyte Hydration Pack: 
BM#2: X
In run “Nutrition”: 

With preparations mostly completed I headed out the door. Goal for the day was multi-tiered...
Overall Goal - JUST FINISH
Satisfactory - Finish in 6:30:00 (14:52/mile)
Very Happy - Finish in 6:15:00 (14:18/mile)
Over-the-moon - Finish in under 6:00:00 (13:44/mile)

Since I had completed a 22 miler 2 weeks ago at a 14:09/mile pace, I felt pretty confident, and planned on doing a 13:30 (13:25-13:35) pace for as long as I could.

Mile 1: 13:25 - Feeling good and heart rate is good.
Mile 2: 13:32 -  Plan is definitely a go

And now we get to the second number...2.68 miles in and my left calf calls BS and turns into a ball of pain. This makes no sense. I ran 3.11 miles at a 10:09 pace a week and a half ago with no issues. In fact I haven’t had any issues at during the past 9 months. I am stopped dead in my tracks as I try to massage and stretch it to get it to release. It releases, but is still very painful and feels like it could seize up again any second. DECISION TIME!

Option 1: Accept that today is not my day, go home, rehab the calf, and live to attempt the marathon another day.
Option 2: Keep pushing until my body just can’t go anymore, possibly risking long-term damage

One of my all-time favorite quotes is, “There is no chance, no fate, no destiny that can circumvent, hinder, or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.”

I am determined... and I quickly decide on option 2, but in order to keep close to my planned pace, I am gonna have to step it up a bit to make up for this lost time.

Mile 3: 13:42 - A bit disappointed that I have already blown my plan, but had a thought come to my mind. Calf felt better the faster I went. Maybe, just maybe the calf cramped because I was targeting a specific pace.

Screw it. All plans are out the window. I am going to run by feel, instead of targeting a specific pace.

Mile 4: 13:14 - Wow, that lightning to the north and south is kind of cool to watch. And now here comes the rain...
Mile 5: 13:10 - Fortunately it looks like the main storm cells will be missing me.
Mile 6: 12:59 - Holy crap! I can’t believe this is working. I mean my calf still hurts, but it is down to a 2.5 out of 10.

Oh, oh. Looks like it is time to complete my last “unfinished” preparation. Luckily I am close to home and can make a quick pit stop.

BM#2: 

Mile 7: 16:04 - I can live with that considering the unanticipated downtime.
Mile 8: 12:20 - Rain has stopped! And I made up for some of the lost time!
Mile 9: 12:50
Mile 10: 12:47
Mile 11: 12:51 - I can’t believe how fast I am going!

Mile 12: 13:42 - Nearly choked to death because I tried eating a peanut butter cup while running. I’m not even kidding. Got lodged in my throat, and fortunately I had lungs half-full of air, and was able to  forcefully cough it out. Had to walk that one off a bit.
Mile 13: 15:04 - Still walking for a bit...stupid peanut butter cup.

Mile 14: 12:47 - Yes, back in the saddle!
Mile 15: 13:03
Mile 16: 13:30 - Oh, oh. Experiencing some gastro-intestinal discomfort.
Mile 17: 17:12 - Yep, we have Threat Level: Brown. Luckily I am circling back by my house, but have to perform the infamous “clench-shuffle” for about a half mile. Maybe it will settle back down...
Mile 18: 13:30 - It DID NOT settle back down. Time is now a factor. Gotta risk lengthening my stride.

The elusive BM#3... 
Mile 19: 32:05 - Fortunately I made it home. Apparently my plan of using sugar as “Nitro” after having been strictly Keto for a while has had some unanticipated effects.

At this point there are a couple concerns. I am fairly certain there is absolutely, positively nothing left in my system, so should be safe for the final loop, but I have now been sitting for almost 20 minutes. How are my muscles going to respond? I had built up enough cushion with my faster pace that I am still at an average pace of 13:40, which means I am still on track to finish in under 6 hours.

Heading out, my legs are indeed stiff, so I mix walking and running...

Mile 20: 15:09 - CRAP! I think I have been unconsciously accommodating my left calf. My right knee and hip are SCREAMING! The visions I had of not only completing my first marathon, but absolutely crushing it are now slipping away.

SPOILER ALERT: I end up crying the rest of the run. Partly because of the pain, partly because of the disappointing realization that running is now no longer an option. I am gonna have to walk.

Mile 21: 18:58
Mile 22: 19:38 - This is the furthest I had ever run previously, so every step is a new record for me, BUT every step is a test. For the past half hour I have wanted to call a life-line. Have my kids come and pick me up. I am still heading “away” from home.

Mile 23:19:06 - This is torture.
Mile 24: 18:45 - I no longer care HOW this ends, just so long as it ends. Pull into the high-school track for some needed laps. My loop that I completed 4 times is gonna leave me short.
Mile 25: 19:00 - At this point I am mad, and so help me, I will crawl if I have to.
Mile 26: 19:14 - Walking through my neighborhood, sobbing nearly uncontrollably. Nathan has already prepared a cold bath for me.

OK, I am not gonna get screwed on a technicality. I need 26.22, but am not sure if Garmin rounds to the nearest hundredth, so I am gonna make sure I get to 26.23 before I hit “Stop”.

I am so distracted by pain and tears that I get to the park, look down and see 26.24 on my Garmin. Hit the stop button, but still have a little bit to go before getting home.

I am a blubbering mess.

Get home, and find my cold bath. It is just cold water from the tap. Bring me all the ice in the house!

I am not going to be able to walk right for days, but I did it. I. DID. NOT. QUIT.

So lets close out by circling back to that whole Knowledge vs Wisdom concept, which brings me to the third number.

I learned today that I can will myself 23.56 miles through pain. That is knowledge I did not have before today.

The wisdom is that I now know that I will never do that again.


Oh, I nearly forgot...
CURSE. YOU. DARRELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment