Monday, January 4, 2016

01/03/2016 - Catching Up

1/1 Friday 2.01 miles 14'19"
1/2 Saturday 2.00 miles 14'19"
1/3 Sunday 2.01 miles 13'53"
Weight 268.2

It has been a while. D convinced met to run a Half Marathon in October, which he was running with his wife. So May 18th I started running again. I started low and slow and ran 3 5K races in June before heading to Tahoe for Ty and Angelina's wedding and our family reunion. Attempted to do "the loop" a couple times with Shaylee and Cami, but 7,000 feet was just too much and I ended up walking a lot of it. I completed a 10K in July and was training for a Half Marathon in September, thinking if I could just complete the September race, I could work on speed for the October Half.

In August my neck seized up on me, so much so that I had to go to the chiro. I was out of commission for weeks, and when the race came around I was woefully unprepared. I had gotten up to 9.00 miles before the injury, but only had 2 5K runs in the month before the race. I hit the wall at Mile 7. The 70 year-old walkers passed me at mile 9.5 and I was dead last. I don't even show up in the records as having finished.

I was able to get in lots more training runs over the next month, but nothing more than 8.25 miles. On October 17th I ran the Newport Bay-to-Brews half marathon. It had a hill. Since it was a loop we had to do the hill twice. The second time killed my knees. I started walking about mile 11.25, and Darrell met me at mile 12.0 and walked with me til the end. I was able to painfully jog the final quarter or eighth of a mile.

During all of this I had been doing the run-walk-run method, running 4 minutes, then walking 45 seconds. I did a 5K running the whole way one week after the race.

Since then I was sick, and busy. We went to Utah for Thanksgiving which was nice. I took the kids skiing 2 days while we were out there. I skied one of the days. That uses very different muscles than running.

I took two weeks off for Christmas and we spent a lot of time up on the mountain. I was snowboarding, and hurt my tailbone by butt flopping the landing on one of my jumps.

So with all of that, I have just started running again. My hope is to do at least 600 miles this year, which is 2.00 miles a day for 300 of the 365 days. If all goes well, I also hope to FINALLY do the Newport Marathon this year in June.

Cheers for now!
-Allen


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment